As the U.S. aid mission to flood-ravaged Mozambique is waiting for a signal from other agencies as to where supplies are needed, another 20,000 stranded people have been found waiting for help, the Chicago Tribune reports.
The 20,000 survivors were spotted Wednesday by a U.S. military plane sent to Mozambique to assess damage to that country's railroad system.
Although a rescue mission is being organized, Army Brig. Gen. William Davies -- deputy commander of the U.S. relief mission -- told the Tribune News Service that U.S. officials were waiting for approval from international aid officials in Maputo before they could deliver supplies, food and other help.
But the U.S. Embassy is coordinating the deployment of U.S. troops with Mozambique officials, says Peter Iskander, head of logistics in Mozambique for the UN World Food Program. UN envoy Ross Mountain told the Tribune News Service it isn't clear why U.S. forces hadn't started delivering food and other aid.
The head of Mozambique's disaster management agency, Silvano Langa, says U.S. forces were sent to central Mozambique on Saturday. Two U.S. cargo planes delivered personnel and equipment there on Wednesday.
So far, about 270,000 Mozambique residents have been confirmed as displaced by the flood.
Full text of the article is currently found at:
http://chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/
article/0,2669,SAV-0003090143,FF.html